Job Opportunities at Health Affairs
Please continue to check this page for employment opportunities at Health Affairs.
Associate Editor, Content Evaluation and Development, Health Affairs, Bethesda, MD
Health Affairs, the leading journal of health policy thought and research, is published by Project HOPE. The peer-reviewed journal appears monthly in print, online, and via iPad with additional online Web First articles appearing online ahead of print. Published since 1981, The Washington Post, has called Health Affairs the bible of health policy.
Alan Weil serves as the journal's Editor-in-Chief. All submitted papers undergo external peer review and are authored by leading academics from fields that intersect with health policy such as economics, public health, sociology, political science, medicine and nursing, to name a few. Government policymakers and health industry decision makers from the U.S. and around the globe also write for and read the journal
The Associate Editor participates in the manuscript evaluation, review, and revision processes by reading manuscripts, identifying and recruiting authors and reviewers, evaluating review comments, and working with authors to improve their manuscripts within established editorial guidelines.
The Associate Editor is expected to have and develop domain specific knowledge that is relevant to health policy, such as in global health, public health, economics of health care, health law, medicine or other clinical specialties, or the social sciences.
The Associate Editor performs other editing and writing duties as assigned, collaborates with other editorial, communications, and business staff, and provides support as needed to promote journal content and events.
- Read manuscripts and identify and invite peer reviewers to comment on assigned papers; read and evaluate these comments; write memos summarizing review outcomes; and make publication recommendations.
- Manage review process for assigned papers, monitor deadlines and maintain contact with reviewers throughout process.
- Review manuscripts for accuracy, presentation, adherence to editorial standards. Correspond with authors during revision process, making recommendations and offering guidance on writing, incorporating substantive comments from review process, and adhering to editorial requirements for length, readability, abstract, exhibits, and endnotes.
- Monitor author deadlines, maintain contact with authors, and answer queries pertaining to manuscripts, etc., through manuscript management system, e-mail and telephone communications.
- Evaluate revised papers, enforce style requirements, and prepare papers for production through careful text editing.
- Research and complete writing assignments as needed, e.g., People and Places, Entry Point, short book reviews.
- Participate in editorial meetings.
- Maintain expertise in health policy by reading relevant news service summaries and news articles, journals, books, attending conferences/meetings, etc.
- Further develop contacts in the field through phone contact, working with authors and reviewers, attending meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree essential; advanced degree in public health, medicine, law, economics, or a related field is a definite plus; will consider work experience.
- Demonstrated interest in health care and social policy/sciences.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complicated material into prose suitable for lay audiences
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with individuals in many disciplines, in academic and policy communities.
- Must be attentive to detail, analytical, and highly organized.
- Able to work independently and within a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and able to adapt to changing needs.
- Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Adept at using a variety of software packages (word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, databases) and Web applications
1. 5 to 10 year’s professional experience
2. Background in policy, health, and publications environment
3. Editing experience.
To apply, please access the position at our Project HOPE Careers Website utilizing the following link: